The British Otorhinolaryngology & Allied Sciences Research Society (BOARS) aims to provide a forum for the best current research in ENT, Hearing & Balance in the UK. BOARS brings together clinical researchers and discovery scientists of all disciplines, levels and grades. BOARS was formed in 2017 as a merger of the Otorhinolaryngological Research Society (ORS) and the British Society for Academic Otorhinolaryngology (BSAO). Continuing the remit of the BSAO, BOARS will also champion education and training in research for ENT trainees of all levels and in all settings, and provide support and mentoring for academic trainees.
The mission of BOARS is to:
- Promote excellence in research, in ENT, Hearing & Balance
- Promote education and training in research and research methods
- Liaise with local, national and international research bodies, agencies and educational institutions to achieve this aim and enshrine principles of research collaboration*
- Promote delivery of the 2015 UK GENERATE Research Agenda (and any successor agendas) in ENT, Hearing & Balance Care and engage in activities to refine and update the agenda across the discovery, translational and clinical research fields
- Work closely with patients, carers and members of the public in these activities and in decisions about research in line with NIHR PPI policy
- Advise ENT UK Council on research and research education matters within ORL-HNS, including budgetary recommendations
- Seek subspecialty advice, support and direction in research matters from other (subspecialty) societies within and affiliated to ENT UK
- To liaise with SFO UK, the SAC in Otorhinolaryngology and the ENT UK executive over matters of undergraduate and postgraduate teaching and training.
- To develop clinical academics in the specialty in the UK
BOARS organises two meetings each year. The Spring meeting focuses on free papers, giving presenters a unique opportunity to present their on-going research to leading clinicians and researchers, and receive immediate constructive feedback. The Autumn meeting is held in conjunction with ENT UK, with BOARS organising a free research papers and posters session. There is a competition for best presentations at both meetings.
BOARS membership will be open to all ENT UK members. ENT UK membership is open to medical staff as well allied professions, scientists, and students. Membership enquiries should be directed to ENT UK.
Those wishing to become more involved with the society can become members of the BOARS council. Vacancies on the council will be advertised to members when arising. Any enquiries should be directed to the BOARS secretary.
Carl Philpott - President
Jaydip RayVice - President
Anne Schilder - Immediate past President
David Hamilton - Secretary
Stuart Winter - Treasurer
Colin Gerald Leonard - Ordinary Council Member
Neil Tan - Ordinary Council Member
Adam Donne - Ordinary Council Member
Matthew R B Farr - Discovery Scientist
Jaswinder Sandhu - Audiovestibular Representative
Syed Zaidi - Webmaster
Haroon Shakeel Saeed - Senior Trainee Representative
Tanya Ta (Ngan Hong Ta) - Junior Trainee Representative
Molly Bond - Student Representative
Kiran Joshi - Student Representative